skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Exceed Personal Training
  • Tiger Turf
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • SpecSavers
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Mainstream digital
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Subway Cirencester

Evo-Stik League Southern D1 S&W

North Leigh 1 - 0 Cirencester Town

Cirencester travelled to North Leigh for this mid-week league, after a superb win at top of the table Hungerford expectations were as high as one could expect.

Ciren were fielding the same side until Leigh Henry pulled up with an injury in the pre match warm up, his place was taken by Jon Beedon.

On a wet and windy night Ciren were playing down the slope.

North Leigh had the first goal chance in the 6th minute after Kieran Sanders fired a cross low and hard in front of the goal line but fortunately there was no North Leigh player to knock it in!

The rest of the half it was to be all Ciren with Josh Morse and Aiden Bennett causing the North Leigh defence constant problems.

In the 12th minute, James Mortimer-Jones hit a shot over the bar after a good ball from Morse. It was then Mortimer-jones who fed Morse, his run took him into the box before unleashing a shot that beat Sam Warrall (the North Leigh keeper) and the far post. In the 30th min Ben Wells hit a high cross for Morse to fire a shot just over the bar.

Cirencester were making all the play and after a foul on Sam Collier, Wells sent a high cross to the back post, which was cleared out as far as Mortimer-Jones who rifled the ball inches over the bar Within the next 10 minutes Jamie Reid had two long range efforts, one over the bar the other just wide and in the 43rd minute it looked like we were to get that elusive goal as Morse swung in a tantalising cross which was firmly headed by Collier only to see it smash against the cross bar.

Half time 0-0

There is little to report about the second half, few goal chances, the game was competitive but not entertaining for the crowd of 54. On the balance of play, Ciren were having the better of it but it was in the 78th min that, when a high ball was in the Ciren box, Beedon committed a foul on John Mills to which the referee awarded a penalty. However, Glyn Garner made a super save from the spot kick to keep Ciren in the game.

In the 80th min Sam Packer replaced Morse and minutes later Scott Griffin came on for Bennett.

In the 86th minute, Wells took a free kick from 25 yards and fired a low powerful shot which the keeper did well to get a hand to, pushing the ball out for a corner.

The match was now well into extra time and most were hoping he would blow the whistle bringing this poor game of football to an end! However, in the 94th minute, North Leigh broke quickly down the right after a Cirencester attack, Sanders made his way to the by-line and sent in a low cross where a John Mills was on hand to knock it in.


Full time, North Leigh 1-0 Cirencester Town.



Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024