skip to content


Evo-Stik League Southern D1 S&W

Cirencester Town v Cinderford Town

Cirencester Town welcomed Cinderford Town to the Corinium Stadium for this local derby. Early September we took all  three points with a 2-1 win at their place so expectations were high for the return game. There were two changes in the team with Glyn Garner from Bath City replacing Dave Evans in goal and Chris Thompson out injured.

Cinderford bought sizeable support to the game cumulating in the attendance to a healthy 121. They were quickly rewarded when in the 6th minute Lewis Sommers fired a half volley from the edge of the box giving Garner little chanc,e putting Cinderford into a one nil lead.

Minutes later Sam Packer was through with only the keeper to beat. As he pushed the ball past Alex Harris, and only yards from the goal, Harris pulled him down with no flag from the linesman and the referee only giving a corner.

In the next 30 minutes Ciren were piling on the pressure with Aiden Bennett, Ben Wells and George Washbourne all going close.

Ciren equalised in the 39th minute after a goal mouth scramble, with Joe Shepherd firing a shot which Harris managed to parry away only as far as Sam Collier whose left foot shoot beat the keeper at the near post.

The first half finished 1-1 with both teams playing good football, at this stage this was a game that could go either way.

Cirencester started the second half with the greater determination and, after slick play down the right from James Mortimer-Jones through to Bennett, who then fed Packer,his turn and pass found Collier. He turned and from a tight angle hit a powerful low shot past the keeper giving Ciren a 2-1 lead.

With Mortimer-Jones playing behind Bennett, this gave him more freedom and was attacking down the line at every opportunity. No more so in the 56th minute after a great run to the by-line, he hit a cross in which was swerving under the bar, nearly catching the keeper off guard who managed to finger tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

Cinderford broke from the corner attacking the Ciren back line before Leigh Henry made a crucial tackle and then hit a pin point ball over the top of the Cinderford defence finding Packer his pace took him into the box with the resulting shot going just past the post.

It all changed again in the 58th minute when Ciderford were advancing forward there seemed a suspicion of offside and all the Ciren players seemed to stop except for Sommers who picked up the ball, rounded the keeper, and it’s now 2-2.

Both teams were now looking for the decisive winning goal and both had opportunities. Mortimer-Jones cleared off the line in the 65th minute, and at the other end Wells had a shot inches over the bar. In the 87th minute Garner made a finger tip save from what looked a certain Cinderford goal.

The game could have been sealed when, in the 91st minute from a Wells free kick, Collier flashed a header which beat the Cinderford defence and the keeper and was inches wide of the post denying Collier his hat trick.

The game finished 2-2 after an excellent game of football which was entertaining and enjoyable to watch. Hats off to the Ciren team for another gutsy and quality performance.

The Match Sponsors for the day were Paul King and Co who chose Sam Packer as the Four Pillars Hotel Man of the Match.

Attendance: 121

Referee Adam Bayliss

Cirencester Town:

1. Glyn Garner
2. Aidan Bennett
3. Ellis Dunton
4. Ricky Allaway (C)
5. Leigh Henry
6. George Washbourne
7. Ben Wells
8. Joe Shepherd
9. Sam Collier
10. Sam Packer
11. James Mortimer-Jones

12. Scott Griffin
14. Brad Hooper
15. Jack Smith
16. Dan Roberts

Cinderford Town:

1. Alex Harris
2. Warren Archer (C)
3. Matt Smith
4. Greg Lewis
5. Andy Lewis
6. Josh Emery
7. Matt Barnes
8. Dave Bird
9. Dale Evans
10. Lewis Sommers
11. Lee Smith

12. Jack Cann (on for Josh Emery - 78 mins)
14. Dan Harrison
15. Alex Evans
16. Sam O'Sullivan (on for Lewis Sommers - 78 mins)
17. Ashley Malcolm (on for Lee Smith - 84 mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021