skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Networld Sports
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Tiger Turf
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Mainstream digital
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Sollertis
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester



Evo-Stik League Southern Division 1 S&W

Cirencester Town 1 - 1 Tiverton Town


After our midweek home league match against Bishops Cleeve, which we lost 2-4, we knew we faced a tough task taking on Tiverton Town who currently occupy 2nd place in the league.
We were pretty much back to full strength with Ellis Dunton, Chris Thompson and Jamie Reid in the starting line up. Jon Beedon was making his first appearance after signing from Swindon Supermarine replacing James Mortimer-Jones who was at a wedding in Manchester.
From the kick off Ciren were pressing Tiverton, and in the 2nd minute a Ciren free kick from 25 yards was taken by Wells which  was cleared only as far as Allard who shot over the bar. This was followed by a through ball from Reid which Bumphrey ran onto and tried a lobbed shot at goal which beat the keeper and narrowly missed the goal.
Ciren had a couple of other chances before Tiverton had their first real chance in the 12th minute when Russell Jee hit a shot from a corner which came back off the post.
The 23rd minute saw a heavy tackle on Thompson which to the surprise of all heralded no punishment for the defender. Wells took the free kick from 25 yards which he fired low and hard through the defence to bring out a good save from Chris Wright.
Six minutes later, after an innocuous jump between Thompson and a defender, the referee booked Thompson. This brought eye lifting surprise considering the earlier foul on Thompson, which went unpunished and there was an air of disbelief around the stadium.
Tiverton took the lead in the 31st minute after a goal mouth scramble and what looked to be a hand ball that was not picked up. Eventually Joseph Bushin got a toe on the ball poking it into the net.
Half time was fast approaching and many fans were heading for the bar to get refreshments. Those that did were to miss a cracking goal when, after a good run from Wells across the 16 yard box, he passed the ball out to Dunton on the left and from 16 yards he hammered a left foot shot into the far corner giving the keeper no chance.
The first half ended 1-1 which on the balance of play was a fair reflection of the game.
The second half started in earnest with both teams looking to win the game, and in the 51st minute Thompson saw a good header go just over the bar, for the next 20 minutes Ciren were pushing hard and certainly upped the game plan after the break having the majority of play in midfield and giving the Tiverton defence plenty to do.
It was in the 73rd minute that Sam Collier found himself through with just the keeper to beat. As Wright came out to him Collier tried to round him but Wright got a hand to the ball, but somehow it came back to Collier who passed it out to Wells whose shot was cleared. The ball was quickly moved up field a long cross found Jules Emati who’s fine header was well saved by Lee Clatworthy.
A Ciren corner was met by the head of Matt Sysum who thumped it goal bound only to see it clear the bar. In the 79th minute Ciren made a change with Sam Packer coming on for Shane Bumphrey, and three minutes later Alex Allard, who was injured, was replaced with Aiden Bennett.
It was now all Ciren who were piling on the pressure and looking for that winning goal which nearly came in the 98th minute when the ball came out to Collier who blasted it at goal only to see it fly over the bar. A minute later the match ended in a draw with Tiverton looking mightily relieved.
This was a 100% improvement on Tuesday night's game played with passion and determination and with more of this we can certainly expect to be in the frame come the end of season.
It was another toughie picking man of the match as every Ciren player played their part. However it was a close vote and required scrutiny of the poll including family voting before coming to conclusion that the Four Pillars Hotel Man of the Match was Jamie  Reid.

Attendance: 97

Referee: Dumitru-Ravel Cheosiaua

Cirencester Town:

1. Lee Clatworthy
2. Alex allard
3. Ellis Dunton
4. Matt Sysum (C)
5. Ben Wells
6. Jon Beedon
7. Jamie Reid
8. Liam O'Brien
9. Sam Collier
10. Shane Bumphrey
11. Chris Thompson

12. Joe Shepherd
14. Nathan Hawkins
15. Sam Packer (on for Shane Bumphrey - 79 mins)
16. Aiden Bennett (on for Alex Allard - 82 mins)


Tiverton Town:

1. Chris Wright
2. Josh Concanen
3. Lewis Tasker
4. Harry Nodwell
5. Paul Kendall (C)
6. Tom Gardner
7. David Steele
8. Russell Jee
9. Dave Pearse
10. Joseph Bushin
11. Alex Faux

12. Josh Searle (on for Russell Jee - 55 mins)
14. Andy Taylor (on for Dave Pearse - 70 mins)
15. Adam Faux
16. Jules Emati-Emati (on for David Steele - 70 mins)
17. Kevin Hill 



Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023