skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Total Teamwear
  • Mainstream digital
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • McDonalds Cirencester


Evo-Stik League Southern Division 1S&W

Cirencester Town 2 - 1 Taunton Town

Match Report by Andy Buchan

Following on from two home defeats in succession Cirencester welcomed Taunton Town to the Corinium.
Ciren had made a couple of changes to the starting line up with Matt Bath retiring from football and Ellis Dunton still injured from the Hungerford game. Lee Chatworthy promoted from the development team was given the task of being last man and Aiden Bennett took the No 3 shirt.
The conditions were ideal, no wind and Autumn sunshine, the game got off to a furious start. Most of the action was in midfield and it was not until the 12th minute when either keeper was called upon. This honour was on Taunton's Matthew Unwin making a fine save from a Allard shot, and this was quickly followed when the Taunton captain Ingram fired wide from 25 yards.

It was in the 16th minute when Ciren had the first corner which Wells hit long and high, Shepherd managed to get a head on it but was weak and went wide. Six minutes later Wells made a good run down the right and fired a tantalising ball low and hard but unfortunately there was no Ciren player who could get that final touch.
In the 27th minute Ciren had a 2nd corner which Wells put in at the perfect height for our Mr reliable Matt Sysum to power a header into the back of the net from 5 yards.

Ciren came close to making it 2 in the 31st minute when Collier unleashed a rocket right footed shot destined for the bottom right hand corner of the net except for the acrobatic one handed save from Unwin pushing the ball around the post for a Ciren corner.

On the break Taunton powered forward into the Ciren box but when the Taunton No 10 Badavi went down the referee was not impressed and booked him for diving.

Ciren had the ball in the net again after a goalmouth scramble but the ref adjudged that the keeper had been fouled. In the 45th minute a late challenge on Allard saw the Taunton No 5 Peek go in the book.

H.T. Ciren1-0 Taunton.

Taunton Town came out for the second half looking to quickly level the score. In the 61st minute Badavi shot into the side netting and this was followed by Herrod having a shot well saved. Within the next 4 minutes Ciren had to defend against 3 free kicks just outside the box and it was the third one that caused the most anxiety with Jamie Reid heading off the line.
In the 62nd minute Ciren made a substitution with Chris Thompson replacing Aiden Bennett. Six minutes later Shepherd was bought down on the edge of the box, and with both Wells and Collier lining up to have a go, in the end it was Wells who fired a shot over the bar. Minutes later Collier made a good run down the left and sent a cross over to Shepherd who's header back into the box was wasted as no Ciren player was available to take advantage.
Sam Packer was booked for a foul, and minutes later he recovered to fire a low hard shot which sneaked past the post after being deflected for a corner. This was quickly followed by a Collier shot that also was inches from a goal and just passing the post,

Ciren were now dominating play and needed a second goal to show for it. Minutes later we thought we had it when Wells put in a great cross for Collier whose header inched past the post.
In the 81st minute, Scott Griffin replaced Sam Collier. Ciren were on the attack again with Shepherd going down the right when he was bought down by Ben Mammola, which earned him a second yellow card and resulted in him having a long walk back to the showers.

Ciren had a great chance to finish the game in the 84th minute when, after a good move by Packer, he had a good opportunity to shoot but laid it off to Griffin who also had plenty of time to pick his spot and shoot! Instead he passed it back to Packer who was now offside. Our biggest worry was for the manager Brian Hughes as he looked close to having a cardiac arrest!

However all was not lost as minutes later Shepherd from the left hit a great cross which was met by Scott Griffin who, on the half volley and on the turn, fired a fantastic shot into the opposite corner giving the keeper no chance and Ciren a 2 nil lead. 
In the 93rd minute when we thought it was all over Taunton's Badavi broke into the box and was bought down by Ben Wells. The referee pointed instantly to the penalty spot, Simon Ingram stepped up and fired the ball, sending Clatworthy the wrong way and reducing the lead.

It was an agonising final few minutes waiting for the final whistle, and when it came the relief could be felt and heard from the Ciren supporters. We deserved the win but it just seemed harder than it should have been. However, a ''win's a win'', we've broken the losing run and are now fifth place in the league.
A good all-round team performance with notable performances from Matt Sysum and Sam Packer who shared the Four Pillars Hotel Man of the Match Award. 
F.T. Ciren 2-1 Taunton.

Referee: Adrian Piggott

Cirencester Town:

1. Lee Clatworthy
2. Alex Allard
3. Aiden Bennett
4. Matt Sysum (C)
5. Ben Wells
6. Nathan Hawkins
7. Jamie Reid
8. James Mortimer-Jones 
9. Sam Collier
10. Joe Shepherd
11. Sam Packer

12. Chris Thompson (on for Aiden Bennett - 62 mins)
14. Scott Griffin (on for Sam Collier - 80 mins)
15. Sean Bailey

Taunton Town

1. Matthew Unwin
2. Jake Manford
3. Ben Head
4. Ben Mammola
5. Neil Peek
6. Rob Norrish
7. Andy Robertson
8. Simon Ingram (C)
9. James Blake
10. Khalid Badavi
11. Craig Herrod

12. Jamie Short (on for Jake Manford - 67 mins)
14. Corey Lewis
15. Tom Hopkins

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023