skip to content


Evo-Stik League Southern Division 1 S&W

Cirencester Town 0 - 3 Hungerford Town

Match Report by Andy Buchan

This was a big home game for Cirencester against Hungerford Town who have also had a good start to the season. The game was to be played with a slight breeze and overcast sky and everything was set for a cracking game.
Ciren were first on the attack with Sam Collier shooting over the bar in the 4th minute. This was followed by a Ciren corner which was saved by the Hungerford keeper after a header from Matt Sysum.

Within the next 15 minutes, the play was even with both teams having isolated opportunities. In the 24th minute Aiden Bennett battled well and supplied a good ball into the box which was deflected over the bar for a Ciren corner. From the corner, Hungerford made a quick break and after a fine shot from Draycott it was Matt Bath to the rescue with a good save. 
In the 30th minute, Bennett received a yellow card after kicking the ball at goal after the ref had blown for a foul. Two minutes later a clumsy tackle on Dunton, which the ref never spotted, led to Dunton leaving the pitch and being replaced by Hawkins. In the 36th minute Collier followed Bennett into the book after a foul on Herring.
In the 44th minute a cross from the left cleared the head of Hawkins and dropped into the path of Luke Hopper who sprinted forward and beat Bath with a well planted shot into the right hand corner of the net to give Hungerford the lead.

Deep into first half injury time in a goal mouth frenzy, a shot was hit at thunderous pace from a Hungerford striker and from four yards hit Sysum to go out for a corner. The referee who was closer than the linesman, then consulted the linesman, and gave a penalty for handball. An absurd decision which infuriated the whole team and supporters. The penalty was taken by Mark Draycott and gave Hungerford a 2 nil lead which is how the 1st half finished.
Ciren came out in the second half determined to settle the injustice of the poor penalty decision and in the 50th minute Joe Shepherd hit a shot from 25 yards which the keeper did well to save. This was quickly followed by a Wells shot also well saved.both Both Collier and Packer went close but it just seemed it was to be one of those days!.
In the 79th minute Hungerford made a good move down the left with Goodger firing a shot which clipped the post. Three minutes later Sysum at the other end hit a great shot which bought out an equal save from Strudley.

In the last minute of the game, a low penetrating ball was hit across the Ciren goal line which Luke Hopper was waiting to tap into a empty net and give Hungerford all three points.
This was a disappointing 2nd loss at home on the trot and was not helped by some dubious referring decisions! However on reflection, Hungerford who were more industrious, battled hard and deserved the victory.

Attendance: 118

Referee: Stuart Jack

Cirencester Town:

1. Matt Bath
2. Alex Allard
3. Ellis Dunton 
4. Matt Sysum (C) 
5. Ben Wells
6. Chris Thompson
7. Joe Shepherd
8. James Mortimer-Jones
9. Sam Collier
10. Sam Packer
11. Aiden Bennett

12. Scott Griffin (on for Joe Shepherd - 82 mins)
14. Jamie Reid
15. Sean Bailey
16. Nathan Hawkins (on for Ellis dunton - 32 mins)

Hungerford Town:

1. Paul Strudley
2. Luke Brewer
3. Diak John (C)
4. Jon Boardman
5. Matt Day
6. Tim Fila
7. Luke Hopper
8. Ian Herring
9. Ben Pugh
10. Mark Draycott
11. Bradley Gray

12 Harry Goodger
14. Gary Horgan
15. Sean Wood
16. Scott Rees
17. Alan O'Brien 

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022