skip to content


FA Trophy Preliminary Round

Cirencester Town 2 - 3 Guildford City

Cirencester were on something of a roll after two good league wins and expectations were high for this home cup game. The team was unchanged with the exception of Thompson returning from injury and Reid after serving his one match suspension.

From the kick of, Ciren were on the attack and in the first minute had a great opportunity when a cross from the left found Sam Collier on the edge of the box whose goal attempt was miskicked and ended up as a goal kick for the visitors,

Two minutes later another cross this time from Bennett found the head of Collier whose goal attempt was saved by the keeper. It was in the 6th minute when Ciren looked like taking the lead. After a foul on Griffin 25 yards out, the free kick was taken by Collier who hit a thunderous low shot which went clean through the wall and looked to be in the far corner of the net except for the finger tip save from Hall, the Guildford keeper/ From the corner there was a cry for a penalty from the home crowd as Mortimer-jones was flattened by two Guildford players. However, the ref had the corner retaken.

It was in the 40th minute that Mortimer-jones from 40 yards hit a right footed shot that beat the keeper, and it looked a goal all the way until it smashed against the upright.

Ciren had several opportunities, with Collier hitting the bar, and Hall making some excellent saves. It was in the time of this attacking play from Ciren that Griffin was fouled which went unnoticed by the linesman. Griffin seemed to show him the stud marks on his leg and a discussion between them followed. Some five minutes later in the 22nd minute the linesman called the ref over and, after a discussion, Griffin was shown a straight red card.

In the 24th minute Ciren were awarded a free kick after a push on Collier. From the kick there was a goal mouth scramble with the ball being cleared off the line by a Guildford player's arm which everyone saw except the linesman who flagged for offside!

For the next 20 minutes Ciren continued pushing forward and were the dominant force restricting Guildford to the odd attack. It was in the 40th minute when there was total mayhem just inside the Ciren half a foul was committed by Guildford’s Gibb. This was followed by Guildford’s Jack Guildford stamping on a Ciren player. The No 8 was shown a straight red and Gibbs a yellow for the original foul.

Half time 0-0

From the kick off, Ciren were back on the attack with both Dunton, Bennett and Collier firing shots at the Guildford keeper. In the 49th minute, with a rare Guildford break, it was deemed that the Ciren captain Sysum had held Hughes with the ref giving a penalty. This was taken by Dan Moody who made no mistake from the spot to give Guildford the lead.

During the next 25 minutes Ciren were the more eager to push forward and seek the equaliser with Wells, Bennett and Collier having opportunities. Totally against the run of play Guildford’s Joel Hughes, after a good run into the box twisting and turning, unleashed a shot which beat Bath hitting the far post and running back along the line and finishing in the Ciren goal.

Ciren made a substitution in the 67th minute with Allard coming off for Shepherd.

Ten minutes later a Wells free kick into the box saw Jamie Reid floored, and a penalty awarded to Ciren, which Sam Collier stepped up to take and sent the keeper the wrong way reducing the deficit.

As a result of the foul the injured Reid was replaced by Sam Packer, but within a minute that man Hughes, whose pace had been the difference, sprinted clear of the Ciren defence and crossed into a open goal mouth giving subsitute Scott Todd the simple task of knocking the ball into the Ciren goal. Ciren 1-3 Guildford.

In the 84th minute, Guildford were reduced to 9 men after a bad tackle from Tydeman saw him get his second yellow and marching orders. In the 84th minute Sam Packer made the score more respectable with a fine goal.

The match ended with Guildford going through to the next round with a 3-2 victory.

On reflection Ciren had 75% of the play and deserved more from the game but, as previously mentioned, the difference was the Guildford No 10 Hughes with his electrifying pace and, on the opinion of most, was the man of the match.

Attendance: 100

Referee: John Roskelly

Cirencester Town:

1. Matt Bath
2. Alex Allard
3. Ellis Dunton
4. Matt Sysum (C)
5. Ben Wells
6. Chris Thompson
7. Jamie Reid
8. James Mortimer-Jones
9. Sam Collier
10. Scott Griffin
11. Aiden Bennett

12. Sam Packer (on for Jamie Reid - 77 mins)
14. Sean Bailey
15. Joe Shepherd (on for Alex Allard - 65 mins)
16. Nathan Hawkins
17. Danny Hale

Guildford City:

1. Anthony Hall
2. Tom Penson
3. Ben Rayner
4. Simon Cooper
5. Jamie Thoroughgood
6. Corey Holder
7. Dan Moody
8. Jack Guilford
9. Tommy Tydeman
10. Joel Hughes
11. Jayden Gibbs

12. Danny Bada 
14. Junior Kaffo
15. Scott Todd
16. Luke Bradnick
17. Will Heavey 

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021