skip to content

Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division

Cirencester Town 0 - 1 Bashley

On a overcast but dry afternoon, Cirencester welcomed Bashley to the Corinium Stadium. With Ciren holding up the league and Bashley also in a perilous position this was a big game for both teams.
There was a air of optimism as our visit to Bashley on New Years Eve was a prosperous one with Ciren taking all three points with a 3-2 win.
The game started slowly, however after 7 minutes on the edge of the box Jody Bevan headed the ball past the keeper. As he turned to follow the ball, the Bashley keeper clashed with Bevan sending him sprawling to the ground. It looked a stonewall penalty, but the referee Sian Massey decided differently judging Bevan had fouled the keeper.
In the 10th minute Bashley had the first corner of the game which Bashley's Casey headed out for a Ciren goal kick. Two minutes later the Ciren keeper Hedges had his first test with a 30 yard shot from Ian Oliver from 30 yards which was just wide.
On the 15th minute a good ball from Bevan up the right wing to Bennett who crossed a great swinging ball to the near post which was headed over the bar by Griffin.
Ciren suffered another cruel decision in the 25th minute when a free kick from Mortimer-Jones from 35 yards was fired into the Bashley net from Jon Else, but this was disqualified by the referee for a foul on the Bashley keeper.
The rest of the first half was fairly even with no real scoring opportunities by either side.
On the 45 th minute Else had a great right footed shot towards the right hand corner of the net which the Bashley keeper turned around the post for Ciren's first corner of the match. From the corner there was a goal mouth scramble with the ball being eventually cleared. 

Half Time 0-0.
From the start of the second half Bashley had a corner which was headed over the bar by Luke Whitley. In the 50th minute, Bevan headed into the box where Mortimer-Jones with a overhead kick found the Bashley keeper perfectly placed to accept the ball.
In the 60th minute Ciren brought on Banks for Bevan. Ciren were looking all the time to push forward and in the 75th minute a long ball from Dunn was brought under control by Griffin whose shot was well saved by the keeper, giving Ciren a corner. From the corner there was another goal mouth scramble which ended up going out for a goal kick.
In the 80th minute a through ball from the Bashley defence looked to be offside. A tackle by Dunton on the offside player was judged by referee Massey to be a Bashley free kick from 30 yards on the right hand side. This was taken by Gillespie who fired in a cross-come-shot from 30 yards which some how alluded everyone and ended up in the net. This was a cruel twist as Cirencester had looked the better team for much of the game.
The final 10 minutes were played with Ciren pushing for the equaliser but as of late the one department we have been lacking in is scoring goals.   

Full Time Score 0-1
It has to be said we have, and have had great team spirit all season but little luck as once again we all witnessed today. It is more important now than ever we all get behind the team and continue supporting them.  '' Come on Ciren ''.

Attendance: 93

Referee:Sian Massey

Four Pillars Hotel Man of the Match: Aiden Bennett


Cirencester Town:

1. Mike Hedges
2. Aiden Bennett
3. Ellis Dunton
4. Jamie Dunn
5. Nathan Davies
6. Jamie Reid
7. Wayne Turk
8. James Mortimer-Jones (C)
9. Jody Bevan
10. Scott Griffin
11. Jon Else 

12. Zak Westlake
14. Paul Nanks (on for Jody Bevan - 65 mins)
15. Josh Russell 


1. Stewart Kearn
2. Jack Smith
3. Dan Struenell
4. Gary Middleton (C)
5. Luke Whitley
6. Josh Casey
7. Ricahrd Gillespie
8. Dave Allen
9. Jame Stokoe
10. Mark Gamble
11. Ian Oliver

12. Liam Green
14. Stefan Penny
15. MAtt Volkes
16. Carl Foster
17. Paul Gazzald

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021