skip to content

Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division

Swindon Supermarine 4 - 4 Cirencester Town

A local derby, 8 goals shared, 8 bookings and 3 sending’s off, this game had it all!

Cirencester got off to a good start with a long throw from Tom Etheridge finding Adam Mayo, making his debut for the season since rejoining the club, and he got a header in on target which was comfortably saved.

Ten minutes later Mayo was involved again this time rather unfortunately going into the referee’s notebook, one of the first of a number of debatable decisions by a referee who looked a little out of his depth.

It wasn’t long before the referee was in the action again, this time booking recently released midfielder Sean Wood who was making his Supermarine debut for a foul on Town’s Paul Banks.

On 21 minutes left back Richard Mansell curled a free kick for Town over the wall but straight into the arms of Supermarine keeper Kent Kauppinen. Supermarine left winger Daniel Urry then saw the wrath of the referee as he saw yellow just before Andy Gunn headed just wide from another Etheridge long throw.

It was Town that took the lead when great work from Banks saw him cross into the six yard box for on loan striker David Murphy to get off the mark with a deflected header to make it 1-0 in the 27th minute. Ten minutes later they nearly doubled that lead with a James Mortimer-Jones lobshot forcing Kauppinen to tip over for a corner.

On the stroke of half time a scuffed shot from Etheridge saw Kauppinen fumble but Town weren’t able to react quick enough to take advantage so saw the half-time score remained 1-0.

As the second half kicked off, nobody knew what was to come. In the 48th minute once again the referee was the centre of attention with the yellow card shown to TJ Bohane for Supermarine for a trip on Richard Mansell. Just a minute later though it was TJ Bohane who took a free kick and his shot was deflected into the Town net off the unfortunate Mansell leaving poor Danny Greaves totally wrong-footed to make the score 1-1.

The game then saw a double sending off with Paul Banks and Jon Beeden from Supermarine tustling for the ball and Beeden appeared to push his head into Banks chest and to the amazement of the Town bench both players saw red.

As the two teams looked to try and settle things down, Supermarine took a shock lead when no Town defender picked up Supermarine's sub Max Etheridge and he headed in powerfully at the back post from a Ben Wells corner to make it 2-1 to Supermarine.

Town fought straight back though with Town's own Etheridge, Tom, hitting a half volley at the back post just inside the post to make it 2-2 and turning the game into an end to end thriller.

Town’s failure to deal with set-pieces reared its head again as another ball into the box was only half cleared and Supermarine's Captain, Dave Bampton, half volleyed in with a good strike to put Supermarine 3-2 in front.

Alex Allard, Supermarine's right back, then saw yellow just before James Mortimer-Jones went on a mazy run and finished with a great strike across Kauppinen into the far corner to pull Town level at 3-3.

By this stage David Stone had come on for Adam Mayo with Town searching for a winner and it was Stone who got in a good position and crossed to the back post for David Murphy to get his second goal of the night with a clinical volley at the back post to put Town in front at 4-3.

Supermarine also made a change with centre back Tom Cole coming on for midfielder Sam Morris and straight away Cole was involved as he volleyed over the bar from close range.

In the 87th minute it was Supermarine's turn to come from behind as from another Ben Wells corner, former Centurion Ashley Edenborough, who had come on as a second half substitute, headed in again unmarked which will have disappointed Town boss Brian Hughes.

The drama hadn’t ended there with Town’s centre back Zak Westlake tripping Edenborough as he broke and he too saw the referee’s red card.

That was to be the final action of a dramatic game of football which swung from end to end. Despite the card count from an overzealous referee it wasn’t a dirty game but both management teams will be spending more time looking at how they defend rather than the referee’s contribution to the evening. However, Town at least got off the mark with their first point of the season and showed good spirit not to lose in the end.

Swindon Supermarine:

1 Kent Kauppinen
2 Alex Allard
3 Matt Robinson
4 Sean Wood (Booked)
5 Jon Beeden (Sent Off)
6 David Bampton
7 Ben Wells
8 Sam Morris
9 TJ Bohane (Booked)
10 Bradley Gray
11 Danny Urry (Booked)

12 Daniel Allen
14 Ashley Edenborough on for Urry (46 mins)
15 Harry Etheridge
16 Max Etheridge on for Gray (46 mins)
17 Tom Cole on for Morris (81 mins)

Cirencester Town:

1 Danny Greaves
2 Neil Arndale
3 Richard Mansell (Booked)
4 Zak Westlake (Sent Off)
5 Jamie Reid
6 Andy Gunn
7 Tom Etheridge (Booked)
8 James Mortimer-Jones
9 David Murphy (Booked)
10 Paul Banks (Sent Off)
11 Adam Mayo (Booked)

12 David Stone on for Mayo (63mins)
14 Ellis Dunton
15 Mike Tambling
16 William Loughman
17 Matt Sysum on for Murphy (93mins)

Attendance: 131

Referee: Mark Russell

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021