skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Sollertis
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Mainstream digital
  • Total Teamwear
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran

Chairmans Reserve Challenge Cup

Quarter Final

Cirencester Town 3

 Burnham FC 2 

Match Report by
A Smith

Cirencester played the team top of Division Two East expecting a tough game against a team who had conceeded  only 5 goals and have lost only one game so far this season - and they got it.

The first 5 minutes were very even and Clatters was called upon early to make a good save from the Burnham number 9 and for the first 10 minutes the young team didn't really click and Burnham were on top with nothing really coming from Ciren's approach play.

The first real action from Ciren came in the 15 minute when Jack Smith played a great through ball to Josh Morse, he pulled it back for Ollie Pitt to feed Smith who's shot was blocked only for the rebound to fall to Dan Hill whose shot was blocked in the line. Ciren gradually got stronger and more threatening and on the 21st minute Smith had a good header saved by the goalkeeper.

5 minutes lates Morse was fed by Ian McSheery and his shot scraped the post. A couple of minutes later in the 28th minute Liam O'Brien continued his recent goal scoring form by powering a low shot passed the keeper. 1 - 0.

The game was developing into an enthralling contest and in the 33rd minute Clatters played the ball into the chest of an attacker who headed it to his partner who slotted it home. This caused great consternation amongst the small but vocal support who had spotted a hand ball. 1 - 1.

Although a little stunned this team has great character and in the 39 minute McSheery passed the ball to Pitt who layed it off for Morse to score. 2 - 1.

The last few minutes of the half was a frenetic affair and the young ref did well to keep it under control.

Half time: Cirencester Town 2 Burnham FC 1

The second half started as the first had finished with a lot of niggly fouls and two minutes in Morse took a good through ball and hit a perfect cross from the by line but Smith could not quite reach it. A minute later one of O'Brien's trade mark long throws caused the keeper to fumble the ball but it was scrambled away for a corner - which was cleared.

Cirencester were beginiing to play very good football and were dominating the game with Smith and Morse coming close in the 55th minute and in the 62nd minute another long throw from O'Brien was met by Smith who headed just wide. Smith then became provider for Pitt who shot just wide. McSherry and Morse were the next pair to combine for Morse to shoot just over.

Jack Ayres replaced Pitt and was soon in the action when he met a cross from Morse but couldn't get the ball under control.

Luke Allen was brought on to replace Dan Roberts while James Smith (returning from an operation) replaced Ian McSherry. Ciren looked to have finished the game off when Jack Smith met a flick from Ayres to slot the ball home but he was flagged offside.

Wuth just a few minutes left Burnham were awarded a corner from which they equalised. I think that most everyone was now looking forward to extra time when Ciren were awarded a corner. Morse floated the ball into the box and Kyle Pitts sent a bullet liek header passed the keeper 3 - 2.

There was still time for Burnham to create one last chance before the ref blew the final whistle.

Full Time: Cirencester Town 3 Burnham FC 2

There were joint Men of the Match: Liam O'Brien and Liam James


Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021