skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Networld Sports
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Sollertis
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Mainstream digital
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Spire House

Cirencester knocked out of the County Cup

GFA Senior Challenge Cup 

Quarter Final 


Bristol City U23’s  2 – 1  Cirencester Town 


Cirencester travelled to Bristol City’s impressive training facility for this Gloucestershire Senior Challenge Cup Quarter Final fixture against Bristol City U23’s and, faced with a youthful side that consisted predominately of their U18 players, took the opportunity to rest a number of senior players and introduce five of our Development Team (U17’s) to First Team action.


The visitors made the perfect start when a long ball out of defence was collected by AIDAN BENNETT and he tucked his strike inside the far left post in the opening minute. 

Undeterred the hosts began to play their neat passing football and occasionally tested Cirencester ‘keeper Kevin Sawyer whilst the visitors relied on quick counter attacks.

Shortly before the mid-point of the first half one of the Development Team debutants, Ollie Stevenson, suffered a painful injury as he crashed into the perimeter barrier following a challenge and needed attention from the attending Physio’s and a Para-Medic before being replaced by Willem Pooley, another debutant from the Development Team.

Ollie is due to have surgery today (Wednesday) and we wish him a speedy recovery. 

Following an incident on the touchline a few minutes before the interval City were reduced to ten men. 

Seven minutes after the break City were awarded a corner kick which was delayed whilst Cirencester changed ‘keepers, with Alex Harris replacing Sawyer, and once taken the ball bobbed about the front edge of the 6-yard box before BILLY PHILLIPS tucked it into the net. 

The game became end-to-end and shortly after the mid-point Referee, James Tewson, sent a City player to the Sin Bin for verbal abuse – reducing them to nine men for ten minutes. 

Cirencester failed to take advantage of their numerical advantage and it looked like the tie would be decided by Penalty Kicks but three minutes into added-time BRANDON BAK struck a fine shot inside the far-left post to win it for City.


Click here to view Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 22 March 2023 at 19:31 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023