skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Spire House
  • Sollertis
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Mainstream digital
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Exceed Personal Training

The Citizens victory at The Corinium Stadium takes them to the Play-Off Final

Pitching In Southern League

Division 1 South


Play-Off Semi Final


Cirencester Town  1 - 4  Winchester City 

The Citizens of Winchester City returned to The Corinium Stadium for the second time this season, with a place in the Play-Off Final and possible promotion to the Premier Division at stake, and after a thrilling encounter it was the visitors that deservedly reached the final with three ‘Extra-Time’ goals.


From the kick-off the two sides locked horns as Cirencester pressed and Winchester quickly countered and in the opening ten minutes Craig Feeney and Joe Shepherd sent efforts wide of the target for each side. 

Around the mid-point of the half it was more of the same although Ben Whitehead came close to opening the scoring from close range as he attempted to latch onto a Tom Handley header. 

Before the interval both ‘keepers, Alex Harris and Charlie Philpott, were called into action to deny firm strikes from Jamie Barron and Whitehead respectively.

In the opening few minutes of the second period Philpott and Harris were called into action again and whilst Simba Mlambo tucked the rebound home for the visitors it was ruled out for ‘offside’. 

Around the hour-mark Winchester countered quickly, as Cirencester pressed, to open the scoring through CRAIG FEENEY but 17 minutes later it was all-square again as JOSH PARSONS tucked a rebound home from close range. 

During the final few minutes Philpott saved at the feet of Whitehead, parried an effort from Parsons and survived a couple of late corner kicks.

Towards the end of the first period of extra-time Winchester regained the lead when another quick counter attack reached OLLIE GRIGGS who converted from 12-yards. 

In the second period of extra time Winchester cleared the ball for Henry Brooks to gallop down their right flank and his firm strike was parried by Harris and tucked in by MAX SMITH.

A few minutes later MAX SMITH collected a recycled ball and struck a sensational shot into the top left corner from just outside the area to seal the result.


Click here to view Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 27 April 2022 at 22:47 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024