skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Sollertis
  • Networld Sports
  • Total Teamwear
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Tiger Turf
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Exceed Personal Training
  • Subway Cirencester

Forest Green Rovers deny Cirencester a second Cup Final with odd goal in five win

G.F.A. Senior Challenge Cup 2019/20

Semi Final


Cirencester Town  2 – 3  Forest Green Rovers U23’s


The spectators who braved the bitterly cold evening witnessed a fast-paced cup-tie that saw the hosts reduce the deficit twice before losing by the odd goal in five to a mixture of young and experienced Rovers.  


From the kick-off it was apparent that spectators were in for an ‘end-to-end’ match as both sides attacked with pace on the slick 4G surface and with 15 minutes on the clock it was Rovers that opened the scoring when CALLUM WATTS collected a corner kick from the left at the back post and with little space smashed it into the roof of the net from a narrow angle.

Shortly afterwards Cirencester’s Lewis Thompson robbed Matt Mills and moved into the Rovers box for a 1v1 with ‘keeper Conrad Logan but his shot was blocked and almost immediately the action was at the other end as a Matt Stevens effort was deflected onto the home bar.

Whilst both sides were seeing plenty of the ball it was the visitors who looked the more dangerous at this stage and another quick counter attack down their right flank resulted in Vaughn Covil crossing towards the penalty spot where MATT STEVENS header was parried by Lewis Clayton but rebounded back to him for a ‘tap-in’ from a couple of yards.

Six minutes after the interval LEVI IRVING skilfully guided a Tommy Anderson cross from the right into the net from the edge of the 6-yard box to reduce the arrears. 

Encouraged Cirencester pushed forward with more conviction and as the mid-point of the second half approached Ross Gabriel supplied Anderson but his shot was blocked by Logan and shortly afterwards a series of blocks denied the home side as they increased the pressure and as they began again they were caught in possession on half-way and Rovers wasted no time in reaching the home box where VAUGHN COVIL neatly finished inside the right post.

Back came Cirencester and Logan’s sensational reflex save denied Irving before LEWIS THOMPSON darted across the edge of the 6-yard box to produce a glancing header that finished inside the right post.

As the game was drawing to a close both sides had chances – Covil and Trialist ‘B’ firing wide and then Logan denying Gabriel with a double save – but it was the visitors that go into the final.



CIRENCESTER TOWN:  Lewis Clayton, Nick Hancock, Will Tunnicliff, Mike Pook  (C), Sam Farr, Will Wellon, John Dennis (Ross Gabriel 38), Tommy Ouldridge, Levi Irving, Lewis Thompson, Tommy Anderson.

Unused Subs:-   Max Lloyd, Malachi Lamie-Cotter, Josh Parsons, Harry Rule.


FOREST GREEN ROVERS U23’s:  Conrad Logan, Udoka Godwin-Malife (Alessandro Pierpoint 65), Matt Mills, Vaughn Covil (Archie Thayer 77), Harvey Bunker, Elliot Frear, Matt Stevens (Daniel Ogunleye 72), Taylor Allen, Trialist ‘A’, Trialist ‘B’, Isiah Jones.

Unused Subs:-   Luc Rees, Daniel Jones,      


 Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report. 


This entry was posted on 26 February 2020 at 01:40 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024