skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Sollertis
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Total Teamwear
  • Mainstream digital
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • Tiger Turf
  • Bluestone Insurance Services

Cirencester managed to bring home the 3 points from Larkhall after a 'scrappy' match.

Evo-Stik Southern League 2018/19

Division 1 South


Larkhall Athletic  1 – 2  Cirencester Town

Cirencester were on the road again, for the fourth match in a row, when they travelled to Bath to face Larkhall Athletic in a Southern League South fixture and a second half penalty from Ben Whitehead secured the 3 points. after a ‘scrappy’ match.


‘The Centurions’ struggled to find their rhythm on a firm, bumpy pitch but despite this Aidan Bennett clipped the outside of the left post after a neat exchange after seven minutes.  

Encouraged from the ‘dug-out’ Cirencester stuck to the task and continued to work their flanks whilst Larkhall chose a more direct route and shortly after the mid-point Antonio Gerrish had a couple of pots at goal before he began a move from the centre circle that reached BEN WHITEHEAD who smashed the ball into the top left corner.   

As the half was drawing to a close the Cirencester defence stood firm as the home side pressed. 

Larkhall began the second period positively - Matt Groves clipped the top of the bar and Powell headed into the arms of a grateful Matt Wieczorek - and it soon became evident that they were intent on launching the ball into the Cirencester box at every opportunity.

It wasn’t long before the tactic worked as LEWIS POWELL produced a glancing header that clipped the inside of the far left post on its way into the net.

Due to the pressure Cirencester had to rely on counter attacks - with Tommy Anderson having a rare battle with Wayne Nderemani that resulted in both of them being ‘Yellow Carded’ and eventually led to a penalty kick as Anderson was brought down. BEN WHITEHEAD stepped up and drove the ball inside the right post.

Once they had regained the lead Cirencester ‘dug-in’ to withstand the barrage of long balls and mount counter attacks whenever possible.


Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 29 September 2018 at 23:38 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020