skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Mainstream digital
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Networld Sports
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Sollertis
  • Total Teamwear
  • Tiger Turf
  • Subway Cirencester

MATT WIECZOREK saves two penalties as Cirencester continue push for a 'play-off' place.

Evo Stik Southern League 2017/18

West Division


Winchester City 1 - 2 Cirencester Town

Cirencester made the journey to Hampshire for this re-arranged fixture knowing that victory was essential to maintain their push for a 'play-off' place and were put to the sword by their hosts for most of the game but still managed to come away with the points.

In conditions that made free flowing football impossible - strong wind, rain and a hard bumpy pitch - the home side were awarded two penalty kicks that Matt Wieczorek saved to keep Cirencester in the game.

The first penalty kick was awarded after 11 minutes and was driven hard and low towards the right post but Wieczorek dived full length to push it round his post.

As the mid-point of the half approached the lively Oli Bailey jumped to block a clearance punt from Wieczorek and was first to the loose ball but his shot struck the left post and rebounded towards the penalty spot for SIMBA MLAMBO to finish.  1-0.

With the strong wind behind them Cirencester were finding it difficult to judge the weight of pass giving Winchester possession but just before the interval Alan Griffin slipped the ball to BEN WHITEHEAD, centre front edge of the penalty area, who fired inside the right post.  1-1.

After the break Cirencester expected to be playing into a strong wind but instead they were greeted by driving rain and had to rely on counter attacks as they were put under pressure.

Just before the hour mark a Cirencester corner kick reached Aidan Bennett on the right and he promptly chipped it to Whitehead. The striker’s effort was blocked near the line but ALEX ALBERT pounced to drive it into the roof of the net.  1-2.

Into the final 15 scheduled minutes and Whitehead chased a clearance down the centre to chip it over the advancing ‘keeper and narrowly over the bar.

A minute later Cirencester made several blocks inside their penalty area, as if their lives depended on it, until the Referee awarded a penalty kick. A different penalty taker sent his spot kick down the middle where once again Wieczorek saved - and also the follow-up shot.

Winchester continued to press but Cirencester hung on to collect the points.


Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 25 April 2018 at 01:31 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020