skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Clarity Solutions
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Sollertis
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Spire House
  • Total Teamwear
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Tiger Turf
  • Subway Cirencester

Cirencester are through to the GFA Senior Challenge Cup Final.


GFA Senior Challenge Cup



Cinderford Town  1 - 3  Cirencester Town

With the exceedingly important match against Kings Langley on Saturday to consider Charlie Griffin took the opportunity to look at two more Development Team players in this GFA Senior Challenge Cup Semi-Final match at The Causeway against Cinderford Town and they stood up to the challenge well.

Max Arnold and Angus Brereton were the players in question and they started in a young ‘back-three’ alongside Robbie James.

In a very lively opening Cirencester took an early lead after seven minutes when LEWIS THOMPSON latched on to the ball near the centre circle and charged forward, rounded the ‘keeper and tucked the ball in from 8 yards.  0-1.

Cinderford responded to this setback and pressed the visitor’s defence who made a couple of blocks to deny them whilst Cirencester had a couple of headers go wide of the target.

At the mid-point of the half Cirencester increased their lead following a free kick as AIDAN BENNETT managed to head home from a few yards after Robbie James had headed back across the goal.  0-2.

This was followed by a series of moves involving quick ‘one-touch’ passing from the young side as they worked the ball down the left flank.

Around the half hour mark Cinderford clipped the Cirencester cross-bar before opening their account as CRAIG NORMAN managed to turn and volley in one move at the near right post. 1-2.

Cinderford pressed during the lead-up to the interval but were unable to add to their tally.

The home side started the second half very briskly with Sammie Hicks seeing an effort saved by the feet of Scott Rose in the first minute.

The game became frantic as Cinderford pushed forward in search of an equaliser and Cirencester defended with conviction before counter attacking.

As the contest entered the final quarter Cirencester restored their two goal cushion when ELLIS DUNTON collected a clearance just inside the penalty area and drove the ball through a cluster of players into the net.  1-3.

During the last ten minutes Scott Rose made a couple of excellent saves to deny Cinderford enabling Cirencester to go through to the final against Bristol City Reserves (U21’s).  


Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 20 April 2017 at 01:28 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020