skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Networld Sports
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Total Teamwear
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Mainstream digital
  • Tiger Turf
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • SpecSavers

Another vital win for The Centurions in fight to stay in the Premier Division.

Evo Stik Southern League 2016/17

Premier Division


Cirencester Town   3 – 0   Weymouth

Cirencester produced a determined, resolute performance in a ‘must-win’ home encounter with Weymouth to keep their hopes of playing in the Premier Division next season alive.

Danny Gudger scored another two goals in his second start of the season and Ellis Dunton chipped in with the second to ease the nerves of the supporters.


The home side started very quickly and a Kerry Morgan charge down the left flank, followed by a cross to the centre front edge of the 6 yard box, provided DANNY GUDGER with the chance to open the scoring after four minutes and he duly obliged.  1-0.

Encouraged by their start Cirencester continued to press and by the mid-point of the half had created another couple of chances for Gudger but Weymouth were beginning to settle and starting to have more of the ball without really threatening the home defence. Ben Thompson had two chances that were wide of the target.

As the half was drawing to a close Cirencester were pressing again and a corner kick led to a couple of blocks in the 6 yard box before Weymouth managed to clear the danger.

After the interval ‘The Terras’ had an early opportunity but Thompson’s header from a free kick was caught by Glyn Garner.

Play became a little scrappy as the sides vied for control but just after the mid-point of the half Cirencester scored the important second goal when Henry Spalding curled a free kick to the far left post where Alan Griffin battled to head back across goal for ELLIS DUNTON to finish from two yards.  2-0.

Six minutes later the lead was three as Dan Demkiv sent a 30 yard cross-field pass from the right to the front edge of the Weymouth penalty area. The ball passed beyond an advanced Nick Thomas enabling DANNY GUDGER to collect and calmly slide it under the ‘keeper as he closed to block.  3-0.

A few minutes later Cirencester were awarded a penalty kick but Thomas guessed correctly and saved Gudger’s strike to the bottom left corner.

With nothing to lose Weymouth pushed forward and put the home defence under pressure but they were not to be denied their clean sheet although Charlie Davis came close when he clipped the outside of the right post from 25 yards.


Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 17 April 2017 at 23:28 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020