skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Spire House
  • Total Teamwear
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Networld Sports
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Sollertis

Cirencester's determined display not enough to secure any points against high-flying Merthyr.

Evo Stik Southern League 2016/17

Premier Division


Cirencester Town   0 – 2   Merthyr Town 

Cirencester put on a battling performance against 5th placed Merthyr Town and were unlucky to go in at the interval two goals down having had a decent penalty appeal rejected and a ‘goal’ ruled out for offside.

The game started at a frantic ‘end-to-end’ pace and just before the mid-point of the half debutant Ollie Mehew collected the ball on the right – as he cut into the penalty area he was brought down but Referee Neal Templey awarded a free kick outside the area.  

With six minutes to the interval a Cirencester clearance rebounded to RYAN PROSSER who instinctively despatched it to the bottom left corner before anyone could react.  0-1.

A few minutes later Cirencester had the ball in the back of the net after Oliver Davies parried a shot and Ollie Mehew reacted quickly to drive it into the net from a couple of yards. As Mehew turned to celebrate the Assistant Referee raised his flag to indicate ‘offside’.

To add to the home sides woes Merthyr scored again on the stroke of half time as KAYNE McLAGGON darted to the edge of the 6 yard box to divert a cross from the left into the net.  0-2.

Merthyr controlled much of the possession in the second half but Cirencester still managed to create a couple of good opportunities but were unable to level the score.

Just before the hour mark a rushed clearance from Davies landed at the feet of Adam Connolly. The midfielder instantly lobbed the ball back towards the empty goal but at the last moment it curled wide of the right post.

Fifteen minutes later Aidan Bennett played a low ball towards the front edge of the 6 yard box where Alan Griffin fired over the bar but he was ruled to be ‘offside’ anyway.

Cirencester were defending with determination and countering quickly but were unable to break through a solid Merthyr backline.


Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 07 January 2017 at 23:10 and is filed under Development Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020