skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Tiger Turf
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Mainstream digital
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Total Teamwear

Cirencester beaten by debatable 'added-time' goal after encouraging display against Chesham.

Evo Stik Southern League 2016/17

Premier Division


Cirencester Town   1 – 2   Chesham United 

Cirencester included returning Centurions Glyn Garner and Gethin Jones in their line-up as they faced ‘play-off’ chasing Chesham United and produced an encouraging performance but were beaten by a debatable ‘added-time’ goal.


The home side started well as an Aidan Bennett header struck the crossbar in the 4th minute and 14 minutes later they opened the scoring after some neat approach play resulted in a penalty kick that ALAN GRIFFIN tucked inside the left post. 1-0.

Six minutes later Tony Lee had the ball in the back of the visitors net but he was flagged offside and almost immediately Chesham’s left back TOBY LITTLE advanced down the left channel before cutting right to fire a shot inside the right post. 1-1.

As the half was drawing to a close it became ‘end-to-end’ and although Cirencester started the second half positively it was Chesham who nearly took the lead through the experienced Hales who was denied by Glyn Garner and Kieran Diaz-Benitez.

Thirty minutes into the half Lee challenged ‘keeper Ashlee Jones as he caught a cross and claimed he had crossed the goal-line. The Assistant Referee waved his flag furiously and the Referee awarding a free kick instead of a goal.

Into added-time and Cirencester were pressing again as Adam Connolly’s shot was blocked enabling Chesham to counter through Ryan Blake down their left flank. He crossed the ball from near the by-line and BRAD WADKINS stuck out his foot to divert the ball onto the underside of the crossbar and down. As it bounced back up the clearance was made but the Assistant Referee was flagging and the ‘goal’ was awarded. 1-2.


Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 15 January 2017 at 01:00 and is filed under Development Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020