skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Networld Sports
  • Subway Cirencester
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Tiger Turf
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • SpecSavers
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel

Cirencester exit League Cup at Banbury following penalty shoot-out.


Banbury United  1 – 1  Cirencester Town

(Penalties 4 – 1)

Cirencester made the relatively short journey to face their FA Cup conqueror’s Banbury United in the League Challenge Cup with three Development Squad players and a new recruit from Purton and produced a performance that had the new Management Team ‘buzzing’ after the game.

All four youngsters started the game, with the bench consisting of Matt Liddiard, James Mortimer-Jones, Ross Langworthy and Ollie Knight, and gave a very good account of themselves.

Banbury defeated Cirencester 6-1 in the FA Cup a couple of weeks ago and started the game confidently but Cirencester stood firm and countered down their right flank as Kieran Diaz-Benitez crossed for Aidan Bennett to produce a powerful header that was pushed over the bar.

As in the previous encounter Banbury had plenty of the ball and edged Cirencester in the first half but the visitors remained composed and countered with quality possession of their own as they worked the ball forward – creating a couple of good openings but no goals.

Cirencester started the second half positively and were rewarded after 5 minutes as Charlie Buse did well to release AIDAN BENNETT on the left front edge of the home penalty area and he took a touch and picked his spot - curling a right footed effort into the top right corner.

As the game entered the final 15 minutes the home ‘keeper made a good save inside his right post, soon to be followed by Ross Langworthy clipping the top of the crossbar but as is often the case the home side countered immediately to score an equaliser as ANDY GUNN powered a header inside the right post from a corner kick.

Encouraged the home side pushed for a winner but it remained level at the final whistle to take the game into a ‘Penalty Shoot-Out’ that the home side won 4-1 to go through to the next round of the competition.   


Click here to read Dave Pyzer's match report.


This entry was posted on 05 October 2016 at 12:12 and is filed under First Team | Miscellaneous. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020